Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Will I be able to take a police department to court for discrimination?

I was in a car accident recently with a lady who we will call Sarah. We were both in the left turning lane at a red light. I was the first one at the light and Sarah was behind me. The light turned green and I proceeded to turn left before I could complete my turn Sarah swerved around on my right side to get around me. She ended up slamming into a concreate wall on her right, took out a No Parking sign and flattened it when she ran into it and than hit me on my left sde. Sarah than takes off without even breaking or stopping to see if I am hurt. I followed pursuit while on the phone with the police. She races down a street where we pass a resturant, gas station, walmart, and several other companies. We end up driving two miles to her residence, she got out of her car and came to mine and started yelling at me. The police showed up a few minutes later. They took pictures, went back to the scene of the accident and came back and gave her a no insurance ticket and a ticket for turning in the wrong lane. They explained to me what they issued her and I asked the police if Sarah is going to be charged with a hit and run. They said no because she was scared, didnt know who I was, and didnt have a phone on her. I think that is crap because who ever knows the person that they get in an accident with. Slim to none chance. If she was so scared than why did she lead me to her residence and come to my car when nobody was around but not stop and exchange information when there were witnesses around. And she could have stopped at the gas station or any of the companies that we passed and asked to use their phone. Am I right or wrong. I have been doing some research and I have found that it states in my state that in EVERY SITUATION the people are involved in an accident are to stop and exchange information if they fail to do so they will receive a ticket, may get fined and/or go to jail. Nothing happened with the hit and run. Can I sue the police department for discrimination? By the way I am Native American, Sarah the lady that hit me is white and every police officer that showed up to investigate was white also. Please give me some helpful advice, I really need it and it will be much appreciated. If it helps any the lady that hit me is 37 and I am 22.

No comments:

Post a Comment